Sunday, December 11, 2011

Teacher of the Year

Holy smokes...something I never imagined would happen, happened. On Tuesday, our assistant principal asked if I could be a representative for Tibbals and accept a grant Mrs. Sarles had received. It was during lunch on Friday. My first thought, Teacher of the Year. I know thatdoesn't make any sense, but if you know how this process works atour campus, you'd understand why I thought that. So I stood there panicking, yet trying to look like I was dumb and actually believing I was accepting a grant at this luncheon. I mentioned to Jamey a few minuteslater my theory and she kinda blew me off! I just had a gut feeling. So the following 3 days consisted of me noticing hick-ups in the lie including the pick-up/mailing of the grant materials and the ironic curriculum luncheon at the same time. (Side note...my dear friend Christina Towery texted me Thursday night asking if any of us were going to a Curriculum meeting on Friday. I was quick to pick up the phone and spoil the surprise for her but I WAS so excited that my theory was proving to be correct and that a good friend of mine would be receiving this special honor with me-Sorry Towery!)
Friday rolls around and I change out of my PJ's (PJ day-and we had just bought $35 jammies!) and into my real work clothes.
I dreaded walking down the hallways because I knew people would be questioning me in my attire. I just wanted out! But, I also knew as soon as I got out and into the next building, it would be with lots of camera flashes and people yelling at me (thanks for the heads up Barner!) I also knew that when Amy got TOY, it was at the Woodbridge Clubhouse...interesting that was the direction Melinda was driving me to the "grant luncheon!"
Jon and my parents were there to see the action go down and of course partake in the flashes of the camera that happen when the doors open! And, Towery was there representing her campus as I had assumed! Yippee!!!
I had to stand in front of the room while Melinda stated why I was nominated and then I had to take the mic. I hate talking in front of adults. So, I have no idea what Melinda said because I was planning what I was going to say. I do remember telling the audience that I had thought about calling in a sub so when they pulled the list of absent teachers up that morning, a panic attack would have come over them (I didn't do it...didn't need to waste the day, but it would have been priceless!!!) I made it through the speeches and was then whisked back to Tibbals to make the walk down the hall of 500+students and staff. This was the part my stomach was in knots about...all week long. I don't do attention!
Caiden and Ashlyn were there to surprise me (and apparently had been there for several hours helping the team!)
My students were so precious with their adorable signs and abundant amount of hugs! Parent volunteers came in and helped make signs and decorate my room. It was a day I will never forget!

No comments:

The Hazelwood Headlines